Advanced Communication Skills training for Doctors
We have been running highly successful courses available only to Imperial NHS Trust doctors at the Hammersmith Hospital for a number of years. The feedback from these short courses has been excellent. The most common feedback has been that the doctors felt at the beginning of the morning that they "had" to be there - and by the end they "wanted" to be there.
Hammersmith Communication Skills Course
- Competency in communication skills is important for Foundation and Specialty Training Doctors. So yes, you can "tick the box". But those who attend this course find they come away having got much more than ticking the box......
- Our skill is turning what can be a "dry" subject matter into something that is interesting, evidence-based and, crucially, into a format that doctors in training, working on the wards, working in clinics can relate to and enjoy. Communication skills need not be boring
- You'll learn some new skills and concepts to import directly into your working day. This can instantly improve your communication with patients, their families, and your professional colleagues. Good communication skills are critical for clinical exams and you become a more effective doctor. This is a carefully constructed course delivered by highly experienced consultants - truly by doctors for doctors
- This training is generic, and therefore highly suitable for foundation, specialty doctors and others interested in developing advanced knowledge and skills. Communication with colleagues and critical aspects of communication with patients are covered
- Many doctors need communication skills training, fewer actually want it and very few want to be preached at by "communication experts", "life coaches" or similar
- You will learn practical techniques to influence your own practice and to influence your colleagues and your patients
Communication skills courses are run 3-4 times a year. It is a highly sought-after half day course held at Hammersmith Hospital. Click here to email Mrs. Maggie McNamara, PGMC Manager at the Hammersmith Hospital to get more details and to book your place.
Thank you for an eye-opening and inspiring day. The teaching was brilliant, the interaction and advice was superb and it all paid off. I was interviewed last week and I knew I had performed well, so it was no surprise when I got the job. Nearly every single question I was asked was covered by you at the course, and I structured my answers in the ways that you explained throughout the day. This email is probably too long for you to put on your website, but I am so delighted that I came on your course. I have been telling everyone to go. Thanks again
A word of thanks for all the team at Hammersmith Interview course! I was shortlisted at the first round. Your advice helped immensely with my interview the following week. I really learned how to present myself in a positive light, and it gave me a great advantage with some of the questions which were a bit left field. Your course built my confidence, improved my body language, kept me calm, and taught me how to score points in my answers. Thank you Hammersmith interview skills!
I only came on the course after a friend convinced me to and I am emailing you to thank you all (again). Not only was it actually really enjoyable, but I went to interview and secured an ST post in ****** in London. I am delighted (to say the least) and cannot thank you enough, especially for the helpful advice as well as all the information and techniques. I think I am a better doctor for going on this course. Well done."
Another success for your website! I had my interview 3 days after the course and it went like a dream. Every question bar one you had covered, and the one you hadn't I was able to use what I learnt on the course to be convincing and taught sensibly. I was told by the Chairman I interviewed very well and came across in a mature way - at which point I was trying not to start laughing. Great course.